The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) responds to disasters and humanitarian needs throughout the US and the world. Each June during Annual Conference, our North Georgia United Methodist Women spearhead efforts to supply one of the three specific types of kits to support UMCOR’s readiness. For 2019 we’ll pool our resources to provide school supply kits.
Please consider contributing by:
- Bringing assembled kits to church before Annual Conference, by Sunday, June 9 (see School Supply Kit Assembly video).
- Bringing supplies for kits (see list below) by Sunday, May 19, prior to our May 22 United Methodist Women meeting, where we’ll assemble the kits.
- Contributing funds: Checks made to Oconee Street UMW will help purchase items to complete our kits and to provide $1 per kit to defray UMCOR’s administrative costs.
Materials for School Supply Kits
Items needed for each kit must be new and must not display cartoon characters, advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols.
- One pair blunt scissors
- Round tip only
- No plastic scissors
- One box of 24 crayons
- Only 24-count boxes are accepted
- Three one-subject notebooks
- No marble composition books
- No 3 or 5-subject notebooks
- One pack of loose-leaf paper
- 100-200 page packets are acceptable
- Wide or college rule accepted
- One hand-held pencil sharpener 1-inch or longer
- Remove from packaging
- One ruler:
- 12 inches or 30 centimeters long
- Sturdy or flexible material accepted
- Six unsharpened pencils
- One eraser: Two inches or larger
- One two-gallon re-sealable plastic bag (cloth tote bags cannot be accepted
Stack all paper items on top of each other. Place all loose items on top of paper. (Small loose items may be placed in a smaller re-sealable bag.) Place kit inside of re-sealable bag and seal.
Photo: George Hernandez, via Wikimedia Commons [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]