“Buddy” – Special Needs Support Staff
Special Needs Ministry Purpose:
To create an inclusive environment within the life of the church for individuals with special needs and their families. In support of our broader church mission, the Special Needs Ministry is focused on sharing the love of Jesus through the life of this ministry.
The goals of the ministry are:
- To create an inclusive church environment for families and individuals with special needs, including removing any identified barriers to a successful church experience.
- To develop an appropriate accommodation plan for the individual with special needs that benefits the individual while working within the policies and resources of the church.
- To equip leaders and volunteers in various ministries across the church to help them better include individuals and families affected by special needs.
Position Purpose: To provide support for an individual with special needs during the Sunday School (9:15 – 10:40 a.m. on Sunday,) morning worship (10:40 – 12:15 a.m. on Sunday), and other opportunities, as needed.
Compensation: $15 per hour
- Work with the Special Needs Ministry team to become familiar with the ongoing special need(s) of the individual with whom the staff member is working.
- Collaborate with the Special Needs Ministry team and other identified individuals, sharing information and integrating best practices for the benefit of the individual with special needs.
- Assist SS teacher of typical students in creating a predictable environment for the individual with special needs.
- Supporting those characteristics through engaging opportunities in appropriate settings.
- Ensure the safety of individual without being punitive, staying in proximity, while allowing and encouraging space for individual with special needs and others to interact.
- Complete communication documents as required.
- Encourage use of the Special Needs Ministry space by the individual as needed, maintaining the space for cleanliness, good order, and appropriate resources for the individual.
- Sanitize (antibacterial wipe-wash) weekly any resources which have been placed in the mouth.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled class or activity in order to meet with the individual with special needs.
- Report concerns or ideas for improvement to the Chairperson of the Special Needs Ministry team.
- A desire to work with children with special needs.
- An ability to interact well with others and work as a member of a team.
- Training and experience in working with special education students.
- Church background, preferred.
- Minimum education: Experience beyond secondary education
- Participating in OSUMC Special Needs Ministry training and other scheduled meetings.
- Completion of Safe Sanctuaries training.
- Clear background check
- Covid Vaccination preferred
*If interested, please email Maxine Easom at email@example.com. Please provide resume and two references that pertain to the job description.