Oconee Street United Methodist Church
Director of Music
Position Summary: This position is responsible for the music ministry of the growing intergenerational Oconee Street UMC congregation. Responsibilities include planning and executing musically inspiring worship to encourage the congregation’s spiritual and musical growth in relation to God and each other. In addition, this position develops the congregation’s musical gifts to lead worship, as well as other aspects of church life. It is important this person share Oconee Street’s vision of inclusive discipleship and participate in the life and ministry of the church.
Status: Part time (anticipated to average approximately 10 hours per week throughout the course of a year)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and implement a church music program that enhances the faith life of the congregation, including leading the choir or another group of musicians in a weekly anthem and/or other selections, as well as engaging the congregation in musical expression
- Lead and direct the choir and schedule regular rehearsals, as needed; recruit and develop the talents of choir members and musicians of all ages from the congregation for creative expressions of faith
- Collaborate with the pastor, worship committee, other staff and volunteers when determining musical selections to provide a cohesive service to support the worship theme, including special services in the Christian year
- Supervise and conduct annual evaluations of accompanist in coordination with pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Committee
- Develop and oversee the music budget, including the ordering of new music within budget guidelines
- Write and submit music details for the weekly church bulletin
- Secure contract musicians and guest artists for special services, according to budget guidelines
- Attend Worship Committee meetings and other meetings, as appropriate
- Organize and coordinate the music library and choir room/supplies
- Ensure church instruments and equipment are maintained at all times
- Assume other duties as assigned that are consistent with the purpose and scope of this position
Minimum Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in music or related field from an accredited college or university; one year choral leadership experience.
Preferred Qualifications: At least five years active participation in a church setting ideally in the United Methodist tradition.
- Sensitivity to the spiritual and musical needs of the congregation
- A knowledge of the Christian year
- Familiarity with UMC worship resources
- Ability to motivate, teach and lead musicians across varied skill levels
- Outstanding musicianship, including proficiency in conducting
- Competency with a broad repertoire of sacred music styles with sensitivity to theology, inclusivity and cultural considerations
- Exceptional organizational skills
- A commitment to working collaboratively to create faithful Christian worship
Supervisor: This position is supervised by the pastor and is accountable to the Leadership Team.
Benefits: Four weeks of paid vacation (rehearsals and worship services) excluding significant church holidays. Weddings, wedding rehearsals and funerals will be by special arrangement with the family and should include an honorarium.
All Oconee Street UMC employees are responsible for following all policies and procedures, including Safe Sanctuaries guidelines.
To learn more about Oconee Street UMC, including our vision and welcome statements, visit oconeestreetumc.org.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to the Rev. Laura Patterson at laura(dot)patterson(at)ngumc.net.
This position will remain posted until filled.