We will be posting occasional updates here about the rebuilding process of Oconee Street UMC here. Last month a Building Committee was established and charged with the massive responsibility of planning and overseeing the rebuilding process.
The Oconee Street UMC Church Council held its monthly meeting on June 19, 2013 at Tucker UMC. The following information was reported about the rebuilding process:
- The walls of the sanctuary cannot be saved due to structural damage to the walls and foundation.
- The Building Committee is working with several environmental resources in an attempt to making the new building sustainable, and also recently met with Clarke County planning directors.
- Requests for proposals (RFPs) will soon be distributed to architects regarding demolition and construction.
- The Building Committee presented a policy it developed to handle insurance company and donated funds for the rebuilding. An external bookkeeper will be hired to help manage the funds.
- A congregational input session will be held on June 30 to gain input on the rebuilding process.
- The Council voted unanimously to move forward with working with the Clarke County Planning Commission to include a parking lot in the rebuilding of the church.